Portugal Holiday Home Insurance
Situated on the South Western coast of Europe between Spain and the Atlantic Ocean, Portugal has some of the most stunning coastlines in Europe.
In the south of Portugal, the Algarve is extremely popular and perhaps the image that most holidaymakers have of Portugal. With its miles of unspoilt beaches – many of which awarded the European blue flag for exceptional quality and cleanliness – overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. This area is perfect for a holiday home in Portugal, with just a short flight from home to paradise. The Algarve is also full of Golf courses and with the ideal climate to play; it is no wonder many golfers have invested in Portuguese holiday homes in the area.
Albufeira is the most popular resort within the Algarve and has become very popular with those buying Villas. Albufeira old town is littered with markets and souvenir shops, full of local delights and hand made items as well as local wines. There are also the English style cafes, bars, restaurants and nightclubs on “the Strip” for those who want to see some of the more modern parts of the town.
A holiday home in Portugal has many advantages for the owner. Take for example the flexibility to be able to come and go as you please with the boom in cheaper air travel over the past decade. However with the long periods of unoccupancy, your home requires a specialist holiday home insurance. Owners of a holiday home in Portugal may also want to use the property for a Portuguese holiday let. If you do take advantage of the desirability of your property and let for a holiday rental, you need a Portuguese holiday home insurance that will include Public Liability Cover to protect you in case a holiday tenant has an accident or injury within your property.
At “Insurance for Holiday Homes” we understand that looking for holiday home insurance in Portugal can be very stressful. The language barrier, especially when it comes to complicated terminology, can become a struggle and it can be very difficult to find out what exactly you’re covered for, or to report a claim if the worst were to happen.
Fortunately “Insurance For Holiday homes” can provide a solution. We are specialists in holiday home insurance abroad, but we operate entirely in the UK. You can call us and speak to our team of advisors in our UK office, claims are reported to our UK claims department and our policy is underwritten at Lloyds of London, one of the Worlds leading insurers.
We built our policy from the ground up 10 years ago with only holiday home owners in mind and we have been improving it year on year. We are proud to maintain a very high level of customer service. Our friendly team are waiting on the other end of the phone to provide a personal and professional service.
Benefits of insuring your Portuguese holiday home through “Insurance For Holiday Homes”
As a policy holder you will benefit from a comprehensive level of cover, here is a brief outline of the level of insurance cover we can provide.
- Buildings Insurance – Loss or damage to the property caused by – fire, lightning, explosion – aircraft – earthquake – storm – flood – escape of water, and frost damage – impact – falling trees – locating leaking water – accidental breakage to fixed glass, ceramic hobs and sanitary fixtures – riot and malicious damage – theft or attempted theft – plus many more.
- Contents Insurance – Loss or damage to the contents caused by – fire, lightning, explosion – aircraft – earthquake – storm – flood – escape of water, and frost damage – impact – falling trees – accidental damage to mirrors, glass tops and fixed glass in furniture – riot and malicious damage – theft or attempted theft – plus many more.
- Your Policy will be underwritten at Lloyd’s of London – one of the world’s largest and most established insurers.
- Accidental damage cover, for contents – available with the option to extend accidental damage cover to contents caused by guests
staying at your holiday home.
- Accidental damage cover, for buildings – available with the option to extend accidental damage cover to Buildings caused by guests staying at your holiday home.
- Loss of rent cover for up-to £35,000 – for pre-booked rentals following a loss covered under the buildings.
- Alternative accommodation cover – following loss covered under the buildings.
- Legal Liability to the public of £5,000,000 – this is a crucial element of cover for any holiday home owner’s particularly when the home is being let for holiday use, due to the increasing trends to towards litigation.
- Accidents to Domestic Staff – cover for bodily injury to domestic staff employed in connection with the insured premises.
- Emergency Travel cover – in the event of a serious claim, you can be covered for up to £2,000 if you need to get to the property quickly.
- Swimming Pool cover included – cover automatically included under buildings insurance along with Legal Liability to the public.
Due to the increased risk of escape of water, theft, or unnoticed damage that comes with insuring Portuguese holiday homes as opposed to a main residence, insurers have been known to make unreasonable demands of their clients to validate their policy, which can be found after digging through the small print. However at Insurance For Holiday Homes we are transparent about our simple requirements:
- The property must be checked internally once every 60 days – this is to prevent any damage from growing over a long period of time. Most insurers will require this, or ask that all claims must be reported within 60 days of the damage.
- Minimum security requirements when contents are insured for more than £30,000 – we ask that all external doors are fitted with five lever deadlocks or the European equivalent, which may include doors with multipoint locking systems and all windows are fitted with key operated locks, or shutters with internal catches.
Anyone who has purchased a holiday home in Portugal will need to make sure that they have adequate cover in place. Whether the property is in Lisbon, Lagoa or Albufeira it needs insurance and we will be happy to assist you in any way we can.