Speak to our friendly team
0117 403 3000

Italy Holiday Home Insurance

In terms of population Italy is the fourth largest country in Europe and there has long been an attraction to Italian holiday homes in both the north and south of the country. Southern Italy with its Mediterranean climate is surrounded by beautiful sea, inviting people to invest in an Italian holiday home there, not forgetting the islands of Sicily and Sardinia.

On the flipside, the north west of the country is bordering the Alps, bringing about different but just as strong appeal to the country than the traditional Mediterranean holiday. Skiing and winter sports are the main attractions for thrill seekers of the slopes, bringing ski chalets into the Italian holiday home market. But perhaps the appeal of a Tuscan farmhouse with vineyards or a holiday home on the edge of Lake Garda will be the perfect getaway for others. This truly diverse country appeals to many but whatever your reason for wanting a holiday home in Italy, you need to make sure your Italian holiday home has the right insurance.

For many the desire to buy a holiday home in Italy proves hard to resist. You may use the holiday home purely for your own use whilst you enjoy what Italy has to offer, in which case the property may be unoccupied for long periods between visits. Alternatively you may be using your holiday home in Italy for holiday lets, taking advantage of the desirability of your property to cover some of the outgoings. In which case you require unique public liability cover. However you use your Italian holiday home, “Insurance for Holiday Homes” have the cover you require.

At “Insurance for Holiday Homes” we understand that looking for holiday home insurance in Italy can be very stressful. The language barrier, especially when it comes to complicated terminology, can become a struggle and it can be very difficult to find out what exactly you’re covered for, or to report a claim if the worst were to happen.

Fortunately “Insurance For Holiday homes” can provide a solution. We are specialists in holiday home insurance abroad, but we operate entirely in the UK. You can call us and speak to our team of advisors in our UK office, claims are reported to our UK claims department and our policy is underwritten at Lloyds of London, one of the Worlds leading insurers.

We built our policy from the ground up 10 years ago with only holiday home owners in mind and we have been improving it year on year. We are proud to maintain a very high level of customer service. Our friendly team are waiting on the other end of the phone to provide a personal and professional service.

Benefits of insuring your Italian holiday home through “Insurance For Holiday Homes”

As a policyholder you will benefit from a comprehensive level of cover, we have listed a few levels of cover we offer:

  • Buildings Insurance – Loss or damage to the property caused by – fire, lightning, explosion – aircraft – storm – flood – escape of water, and frost damage – impact – falling trees – locating leaking water – accidental breakage to fixed glass, ceramic hobs and sanitary fixtures – riot and malicious damage – theft or attempted theft – plus many more.
  • Contents Insurance – Loss or damage to the contents caused by – fire, lightning, explosion – aircraft – storm – flood – escape of water, and frost damage – impact – falling trees – accidental damage to mirrors, glass tops and fixed glass in furniture – riot and malicious damage – theft or attempted theft – plus many more.
  • Your Policy will be underwritten at Lloyd’s of London – one of the world’s largest and most established insurers.
  • Accidental damage cover, for contents – available with the option to extend accidental damage cover to contents caused by guests
    staying at your holiday home.
  • Accidental damage cover, for buildings – available with the option to extend accidental damage cover to Buildings caused by guests staying at your holiday home.
  • Loss of rent cover for up-to £35,000 – for pre-booked rentals following a loss covered under the buildings.
  • Alternative accommodation cover – following loss covered under the buildings.
  • Legal Liability to the public of £5,000,000 – this is a crucial element of cover for any holiday home owner’s particularly when the home is being let for holiday use, due to the increasing trends to towards litigation.
  • Accidents to Domestic Staff – cover for bodily injury to domestic staff employed in connection with the insured premises.
  • Emergency Travel cover – in the event of a serious claim, you can be covered for up to £2,000 if you need to get to the property quickly.
  • Swimming Pool cover included – cover automatically included under buildings insurance along with Legal Liability to the public.

Reasonable requirements

Due to the increased risk of escape of water, theft, or unnoticed damage that comes with insuring Italian holiday homes as opposed to a main residence, insurers have been known to make unreasonable demands of their clients to validate their policy, which can be found after digging through the small print. However at Insurance For Holiday Homes we are transparent about our simple requirements:

  • The property must be checked internally once every 60 days – this is to prevent any damage from growing over a long period of time. Most insurers will require this, or ask that all claims must be reported within 60 days of the damage.
  • Minimum security requirements when contents are insured for more than £30,000 – we ask that all external doors are fitted with five lever deadlocks or the European equivalent, which may include doors with multipoint locking systems and all windows are fitted with key operated locks, or shutters with internal catches.
  • Escape of water requirements between Nov 1st and March 31st – to be covered against escape of water you have 3 options, either turn your water supply off at the stopcock at the first available entry to the home and turn on your hot and cold taps to drain the water from the system. Alternatively you can keep your home heated at a constant 10°c 24 hours a day with any loft hatches left open on a thermostatically controlled system (excluding night storage heating systems). Or if you have a frost stat setting on your heating system, that needs to be set to operate at no less than 4°c.

Whether it’s a ski chalet near the Alps, a sunny apartment in Sardinia or a rural Tuscan farmhouse, “Insurance for Holiday Homes” have the comprehensive and flexible cover that you need for peace of mind.